The horizontal stroke in letters. Also known as a Bar.

Definition: The (usually) horizontal stroke across the middle of uppercase A and H is a crossbar. The horizontal or sloping stroke enclosing the bottom of the eye of an e is also a crossbar. Although often used interchangeably, the crossbar differs from an arm and a cross stroke because each end connects to a stem or stroke and doesn’t (usually) intersect/cross over the stem or stroke. The varying positioning, thickness, and slope of the bar is an identifying feature of many type designs.

Also Known As: bar, arm, cross stroke

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published