The horizontal stroke in letters. Also referred to as Crossbar.

Definition: The (usually) horizontal stroke across the middle of uppercase A and H is a bar. The horizontal or sloping stroke enclosing the bottom of the eye of an e is also a bar. Although often used interchangeably, the bar differs from an arm and a cross stroke because each end connects to a stem or stroke and doesn’t (usually) intersect/cross over the stem or stroke. The varying positioning, thickness, and slope of the bar is an identifying feature of many type designs.

Also Known As: crossbar, arm, cross stroke

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published